Monday 21 November 2011

MR BILL NIGHY





Suit by Richard James | Shirt by Yves Saint Laurent | Tie by Drake's | Pocket Square by Drake's

Do you know who is he? If you have watch the movie "Love Actually", then you should know him. I met him in person when I work in Selfridges and he is really nice person, very gentlemen and I was really thrilled when I met him. For those that have no idea who is this man, his name is William Francis "Bill" Nighy, born 12 December 1949) is an English actor and comedian. He worked in theatre and television before his first cinema role in 1981, and made his name in television with The Men's Room in 1991, in which he played the womanizer Prof. Mark Carleton, whose extra-marital affairs kept him "vital". He became known around the world in 2003 for his critically acclaimed performance in Love Actually and thats how I got to know about him. 

I found these photos of him from one of my favorite website, Mr Porter. When I look at these photos, reminds me of my grand father, I wish he dress like Mr Bill. I can not miss my grand father in my childhood memory as he spent a lot of time with us, he cook for us, send and pick us up from school by his motorbike, and I still remember I always asleep on the bike during the journey, cuddled his waist and feel secure. He always nag him to have proper meal and take shower. He is a kind man. Too bad he is not around anymore otherwise I would have bought him a suit and dress him like this and take family photo.  

Mr Bill Nighy was being featured in the journal.  Below is the article about him. For those that have not watch "Love Actually", this will be the best Christmas movie to watch with your love one after Christmas Dinner. Its another 34 days to Christmas!!!


~~~


Discovering that the revered British actor Mr Nighy is a man of stylistic principles comes as no great surprise. When asked what exactly enticed him to do a shoot for MR PORTER, he simply states: "It was the idea - a meditation on the navy blue suit. I found that concept intriguing." No wonder, because it turns out he only wears blue suits. I don't mean that when he wears suits he only wears blue ones, but that he only, ever, wears blue suits - even on the ski slopes. Here, the ever-immaculate star explains how this style predilection came about.



Why do you always wear a suit?
Jarvis Cocker was once asked that. He said, "You never know who you might bump into." Which I thought was brilliant. I've never quite accepted the way I look, so I think that a suit, if properly made, is always going to be a better shape than I am. That's what people buy clothes for.
And why blue?
I respond to dark blue more than any other colour. I resist black, I don't know why I don't like black, but it doesn't make me comfortable. I feel uneasy even standing next to a man who's wearing a black suit.
Surely you wear black tuxedos, given your line of work?
Black dinner jackets are regrettable; I have a new midnight-blue barathea dinner jacket from the tailor at Dunhill which is very satisfying and takes away from the tyranny of the black evening suit.


And the perfect suit is what?
Very simple, lightweight, two-piece, two-button and it'd be single vent, two buttons on the sleeve, not a particularly wide lapel, not particularly styled, not a waisted jacket. It would have a single pleat, relatively narrow trousers, which you'd wear reasonably short, so they hit the shoe correctly. My new quest is for a softer shoulder, structured but soft.
What image are you trying to convey?
John Pearse [a London tailor] made me laugh one time because we were talking about a raised seam on a pair of trousers, which I used to favour. I went to see him about a suit, and he said, "And will we persevere with the raised seam?" And I said, "Yes, I think we will. Do you not agree?" And he said, "Yes, I do agree, I think it goes some way to that artisan feel that we're always reaching for." It just made me laugh. It was the "reaching for". I said, "Is that what we're reaching for?" I don't want to look as if I come from Provence, I want to look urban, but people should be able to relax around me.
Is trouser length important?
Puddles [excess fabric] on the top of your shoes, that's a horror. I have a friend, a girl, who judges men by the way their trousers arrive on their shoes. It's such a delicate matter. My stomach turns when they pin them in a shop and say, "How's that?" They've just pinned it! It's so approximate, such a gamble.
Are you equally inflexible when it comes to shirts?
Generally. I don't know what it is? I've become phobic about white shirts. Blue is always going to be softer. I go to Margaret Howell for shirts.
What about shoes?
Church's makes very beautiful Oxfords. I don't think it gets better. I don't want anything longer, pointier or sharper. I can't relax around that - there is a point at which the conversation is over.
How do you dress when you're out of town?
Am I going to suddenly start wearing green, or brown? It's never going to happen! I once went to Chamonix. I made no concessions at all. I wore a two-piece navy suit, a Crombie coat, a trilby and a pair of black shoes. I turned up looking like the Blues Brothers

1 comment:

  1. He is so cute after reading his profile .... Must watch this movie, "love actually"!

    ReplyDelete