Friday 18 November 2011

PAN AM


Pan Am is an American period drama television series created by writer Jack Orman. Named for the iconic Pan American World Airways. Pan Am follows the lives of four stewardesses (not flight attendants) and one pilot, all crewing a brand new jetliner in 1963. Pan American is the biggest airline in the United States, the pilots are gods among men and the stewardesses are icons of freedom and grace. 

My colleague told me about this drama and said is really good. Then I remember that I saw an ads about this in a newspaper or magazine few weeks back. The ads is about 4 air hostess and they all look amazingly fit in this blue and white Pan Am air hostess uniform. When I was in primary school, teacher will always ask us to write down our "ambition" at the back of the report card and air hostess is always in the list. Why I want to be an air hostess? It is the same reason as the cast "LAURA" in the drama, want to see the world! So I came home last night, bundle myself in my duvet and watch this series and I LOVE it! I like the background of the drama, beautiful and good looking actor and actresses, also the 1960's outfit. The next thing to do is to find out more about the clothing info in the show, those dresses in the drama divine.

Maggie Ryan: "I am not included in the price of your ticket."

Christina Ricci (born February 12, 1980) is an American actress. Christina Ricci is one of Hollywood’s most respected young actors whose talent and poise are well beyond her years. Her role in the drama as Maggie who has struggled all her life to better her standing in the world. Ambition runs through her veins and now that she’s reached Pan Am, she has no intention of looking back.  As for her scrappy side, some would say she’s an instigator, that she relishes defying authority—all true; she wants to see what the world looks like standing on its head. The ultimate survivor, Maggie Ryan makes her own luck, climbs out of every hole (even those she’s dug for herself) and never ever pulls a punch.

Laura Cameron: "I want to see the world." 

Margot Robbie (born 2 July 1990) is an Australian actress. Laura is that pretty girl from high school; sweet, intelligent, well meaning.  But oblivious to her own charms; she often unwittingly leaves a trail of heartbreak behind her. As the newest member of our Pan Am crew, Laura’s enthusiasm and curiosity abound. But her unquestioning openness to any new adventure often lands her in dangerous waters. Fortunately, her older sister, Kate, along with the other stewardesses, is there for guidance and rescue.

Colette Valois: "Tomorrow another plane takes off to someplace new.  Vanished, today’s mistakes.  Their only trace: a touch more wisdom." 

Karine Vanasse (born 24 November 1983) is a French Canadian actress. Colette is the best friend you could ever have: empathetic; non-judgmental; tough when she has to be.  Having lost her parents in World War II, she’s haunted by a sense of loss, a hole that cannot be filled.  Her search for fulfillment sometimes results in bad decisions, notably those of a romantic nature.  But when life kicks her down, Colette, the eternal optimist, looks at the bright side; and if you’re having a bad day, Colette will find the light in the darkness

"People have underestimated me my entire life. They’ve been wrong."


Kelli Brianne Garner (born April 11, 1984) is an American actress. Kate is competitive by nature, Kate has lived in the shadow of her younger sister, Laura, all of her life. Kate rebelled against the life that was chosen for her, that of a wife, a mother and instead spread her own wings to fly. Joining Pan Am was her escape; at least until Laura signed on. Now Kate must learn to manage her past with her present. But she takes on an even greater challenge when she agrees to spy for the CIA; a role which makes her unique as she navigates a whole new world of espionage and intrigue.


Colette is my favorite. I adore her eternal optimist, looks at the bright side; and if you’re having a bad day, find the light in the darkness. Kate's rebellious and her relation with her mother reminds me of myself during my early 20's, always argue with her and try to proof that my decision is right. However, the shame is that I was wrong most of time but I am happy to make mistake because I learn from it, "mistake is a touch more wisdom". I salute Maggie's attitude in life, she makes her own luck, climbs out of every hole and never ever pulls a punch. This reminds me of what is the reason I quit my job and come all the way to England to pursue a degree in a totally different industry. I do regret sometimes but since I chose this path, I know I will have to face it with courage, without looking back and hopefully I can success in future.

Air hostess uniforms, from left: PanAm, Air Europe, Condor Berlin. Photograph by Philippe 
The first stewardess uniforms were designed to be durable, practical, and inspire confidence in passengers. The first stewardesses for United Airlines wore green berets, green capes and nurse's shoes. Other airlines, such as Eastern Air Lines, actually dressed stewardesses in nurses' uniforms.

Perhaps reflecting the military aviation background of many commercial aviation pioneers, many early uniforms had a strongly military appearance; hats, jackets, and skirts showed simple straight lines and military details like epaulettes and brass buttons. Many uniforms had a summer and winter version, differentiated by colors and fabrics appropriate to the season : navy blue for winter, for example, khaki for summer. But as the role of women in the air grew, and airline companies began to realise the publicity value of their stewardesses, more feminine lines and colours began to appear in the late 1930s and early 1940s. Some airlines began to commission designs from high-end department stores and still others called in noted designers or even milliners to create distinctive and attractive apparel.
Flight attendants are generally expected to show a high level of personal grooming such as appropriate use of cosmetics and thorough personal hygiene.

Photos: ABC

No comments:

Post a Comment